Firehose is a FlightAware API for receiving streaming flight
positions (e.g., Radar, ADS-B, Mode S multilateration (MLAT), datalink, etc) as well as flight status
data (e.g., flight plans, departure/arrival messages, flight updates) and surface movement positions.
This page defines a protocol for establishing a connection and receiving data from the Firehose
If you have questions please check our
frequently asked questions to see if your topic has already
been answered there before contacting your account representative for support.
Your subscription may consist of any combination of the
following data layers:
- FlightAware Terrestrial ADS-B Positions:
- Aireon℠ Space-Based
ADS-B Positions: Worldwide
- FlightAware Terrestrial MLAT Positions: Worldwide
- FlightAware ANSP Radar, Transoceanic and Estimated Positions: Worldwide (Transoceanic/Datalink/Estimated positions only),
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Central America (Radar)
- FLIFO (Flight Status): Worldwide (flifo, departure, arrival, and cancellation messages)
- Extended Flight Info (ExtendedFLIFO): Worldwide (extends flifo messages with additional gate times and gate/terminal locations)
- Surface Positions: Most major USA airports (ASDE-X and ADS-B), Worldwide (ADS-B
- Aircraft Weather Reports and Telemetry
- Autopilot and GPS Accuracy
- Obfuscated visibility of Blocked Flights
- FlightAware Foresight Runway Arrival (ON)
- FlightAware Foresight Gate Arrival (IN)
- FlightAware Foresight Taxi Out duration
- Ready To Taxi: (power_on, surface_onblock, surface_offblock messages)
- Surface Entry and Exit Events
Please ask a FlightAware representative if you would like access to additional data layers. Firehose pricing is based on a monthly rate
for unlimited use, dependent on what data layers you choose to access and the scope of how you repurpose/redistribute the data within
Firehose can also be used in conjunction with
FlightAware Global for added satellite uplinks
and EUROCONTROL data. Other aircraft operator's data can be integrated as well: read about
Improving Tracking of Your Flights on FlightAware.
*Australia radar and ADS-B is only available for internal consumption (e.g., not for redistribution
to third parties beyond yourself).
A data delivered by Firehose is in the JSON Lines format. This means that:
- All messages are in UTF-8 encoding.
- Each message is a valid JSON value.
- Each message is separated by a newline.
For more information on FlightAware's position data
coverage, please see FlightAware's